Sunday, October 22, 2006

Campaign Platform Announced at Catania Bakery Event

On Saturday morning, I hosted an event for the residents of 5C-02 at Catania Bakery, featuring the croissants and coffee. I am hoping that the bakery will expand its very limited public hours and adopt a cafe-style business approach. Many people did not know that the bakery existed.

Former ANC commissioner Joyce Robinson Paul attended and spoke on behalf of statehood for the District of Columbia. Ward 5 City Council candidate Harry Thomas, Jr. was a surprise attendee, and also spoke.

I used the occasion to announce my campaign platform and take questions from the audience. It is an ambitious platform, but it summarizes what the residents want. I hope that, if I am elected, neighbors will come forward and help me make this vision a reality. Like most people, I have a full time job and will be much more affective if I can count on other people to help out.

November 2006 Platform
As Advisory Neighborhood Commissioner, I will:

1. Hold monthly meetings with residents of 5C-02 in order to maintain knowledge of community concerns;

2. Encourage businesses to relocate or initiate in our North Capitol Street business district and thus bring economic vitality to our neighborhood;

3. Seek to maintain our streets free of trash by organizing regular community cleanups and promoting self-responsibility in the community;

4. Address parking and signage issues and combat the unresponsive bureaucracy;

5. Organize citizen crime teams and build bridges between police and citizens;

6. Work to secure suitable funding from the ANC for recreational opportunities for our children;

7. Advocate affordable workforce housing that is geared to serving our neighbors and respects our community’s heritage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home