Saturday, September 09, 2006

Did Cleopatra Jones File to Be a Candidate?

Take a look at the D.C. Board of Elections and Ethics website here.

As you can see, I picked up petitions to get my name on the ballot on the first day the petitions became available, August 9. I filed more than enough signatures on August 30, and then filed additional signatures this past Thursday. As of that Thursday, the day before the very last day to file, Commissioner Jones had not filed her petitions.

Perhaps Jones is rethinking another term as ANC. As for myself, I probably will not serve more than one term. I think it is important to have turnover on the ANC so that both newcomers and longtime residents are represented. Wisdom comes with experience, but fresh perspectives are valuable as well.

If Jones is running, she has waited till the last minute to file her ballot petitions. However, several other candidates are waiting till the last minute as well (you can see other ANC singlemember districts by changing the last number in the link above).

I think it's usually best not to wait till the last minute to accomplish a task so important . . . speaking of which, today is September 9th and this month's ANC meeting has not been announced yet on its website. My job sometimes requires me to travel, but I usually have the flexibility to plan that travel around important engagements. But with short notice this month, that may not be possible, and I might have to miss this month's ANC meeting. Drat.


Update 9/11/06: As expected, Cleopatra filed on Friday, 9/8/2006. She has wished me "good luck," I return the same to her as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home