Thursday, November 09, 2006

Today is the Beginning of a New Era in Eckington-Truxton Circle

I want to thank everyone for their words of support. Now, I only hope that everyone won't disappear when it comes time to volunteer for the hard work needed to execute the principles set forth in my campaign platform.

November 8 is the first day of a new era in our neighborhood. This election was a little historic. Our neighborhood is 95% nonwhite and 95% nonRepublican. But in this nonpartisan race, I found acceptance from open-minded, open-hearted neighbors willing to reach beyond the barriers of race, class, and party that so often hold us back.

I spoke with at least 161 voters at their doorstep, and knocked on 350 doors after October 19. Prior to that, I had already knocked on those doors at least once before.

The one door I didn't knock on was that of Cleopatra Jones, but on election day we talked on and off at Precinct 75 over a period of 12 hours. We had not talked much at all before, and I obtained a much better understanding of the things she has done for this community.

One can't say nice things about one's opponent during an election because it doesn't get you elected. Know now that when I first read her four pages of accomplishments that she distributed, I was a little impressed. My priorities for the neighborhood are different, but she hasn't been sitting around twiddling her thumbs-- that is sort of the caricature.

The DCBOEE has released the precinct report (see also below). You'll note that I did far better in the southern precinct 19. I focused much of my attention there, at the expense of R and Quincy.

The southern part of the district is more dangerous, rougher, and poorer. It was my intention to reach out to every voter in our neighborhood. I was told that Hanover Place was my opponent's stronghold. The night before the election, one person after another on Hanover said I had their vote.

Two weeks ago, I was very tired of this campaign. I was also worried that I wouldn't have anyone to help me work the polls, but eight people stepped forward. I am very grateful for every volunteer, as well as to those individuals who contributed financially to my campaign.

Finally, I want to thank Ms. Jones for her service to the neighborhood. I’ll need a bit of time to recover from this election campaign, but I hope we can work together for a smooth transition sometime in the near future. Meanwhile, I hope everyone will be considering what role they will be playing in the renewal of our neighborhood.

* * * *


Precinct 19 (Dunbar High School)

ANC FOR SMD 5C02 (Final)

CLEOPATRA JONES 35 -- 32.71%
KRIS HAMMOND 65 -- 60.75%
Write In, if any 7 -- 6.54%
Total... 107 100.00%

Precinct 75 (Harry Thomas Recreational Center)

CLEOPATRA JONES 119 -- 47.04%

KRIS HAMMOND 132 -- 52.17%
Write In, if any 2 -- 0.79%
Total... 253 100.00%

2 Comments:

At 11/09/2006 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kris,
Congradulations! Many residents of neighboring Ledroit Park are happy to see your victory!


-Austin Pearl

 
At 11/10/2006 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please let us know what is going on with Super Liqour's application to extend its hours of operation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home